I wanted to share with you a project I finished around the holidays and just now remembering to share it with you all!
As you know it is no secret that I harbor a deep love of my super small home, but hate clutter. Vertical space is used as a tool for those of us that live in small homes. Then an idea came to me, make use of the high cabinet space to counter ratio! Duh, why didn’t I come up with this idea 2 years ago when we purchased this home? Oh well, better late then never!
I personally have been in a mode to revamp old things and make them new, giving them new life and purpose that way I feel a sense of pride at my newly acquired item, recycle and keep it out of the landfill, and add a new skill in my tool box. Yes, you will catch me buying brand new things such as beds, couches and such but not much else. I love to add love to every piece, making it a one of a kind item, which yes, takes time but makes it all worth it!
Here is how it went down!
A trip to many local Goodwill locations for supplies. When you do this you need to keep your mind open to any possible combinations of things.
My first piece of the beverage bar I saw months ago and had to have. It was an unfinished, American made, still in packaging pine heart shelf. I saw it and immediately purchased it without reservation. $3.99 for my first piece!
About 2 months later I picked up this piece and I knew exactly what I was going to do with it.
First, I made sure my idea would work.
And, it did with a few modifications it would work wonderfully!
Now, time to have some fun with the saw and chop off those feet!
I made sure to sweep up all the wood shavings for making a wood filler if I had any gaps, which of course I did, so that extra minute of time saved me from a run to the store!
Wood putty mixed with wood shavings= wood filler.
Next, I scuffed up the top of the bottom shelf where I was planning to glue the heart shelf onto. And because my cutting was not perfect with my hand saw I definitely needed that DIY wood filler, then let dry overnight.
The following morning my creation was dry and ready to sand. I used just a regular sanding sponge with each side had a different level of sanding ability.
Once the sanding was complete I wiped off all the dust and got to painting. I used a layering technique with many colors so I could accomplish a shabby chic look. And for this I decided to try out mixing different paints together to see what would happen. To my surprise it worked just fine! I started with adding lighter colors first then built on top of it.
This was a white wash I made for another project I had left over. FYI, using this old juice container worked amazingly!
First coat of color added to the white wash.
Second coat I added a lot more of the red.
Now it was time to play with adding black to the mixture.
Once I got this dry and made sure the color was covering everything I got to work sanding it down to reveal all the colors and added a few coats of lacquer and some really cute knobs.
Done! I absolutely love the outcome of this project! This works great for all our teas and coffee storage, I couldn’t have purchased something I love this much for all my needs!
Please comment down below and share your thoughts!